Xabi Alonso explains why he’s snubbing Liverpool to remain Bayer Leverkusen boss

Xabi Alonso speaks at a press conference
Xabi Alonso speaks at a press conference (


Image: Sky Sports)

Xabi Alonso has confirmed he will remain with Bayer Leverkusen amid speculation over his possible departure in the summer.

Liverpool and Bayern Munich hoped to tempt the former Spain international away from BayArena. Both sides currently do not have a head coach for next term after Jurgen Klopp revealed he would depart Anfield come the end of the season, while Bayern have announced the decision to part ways with Thomas Tuchel.

Alonso has drawn plenty of admirers during his time with Leverkusen. The former Real Madrid star joined the side in October 2022 with Die Werkself sitting second bottom and has since positioned his team 10 points clear of Bayern Munich at the top of the Bundesliga.

Alonso said on Friday: “It’s been a season we have had a lot of speculation regarding my future. Until now we have had so many games, been pretty busy and focused, and I wanted to reflect during the international break and take a decision.

“Last week I had a very good meeting when I informed them [Leverkusen’s directors] of my decision to continue being coach of Bayer Leverkusen. For sure all the decisions you need to analyse well. I try to take the right ones, I try to take them in a natural way.

“At the moment this is the right place for me to develop as a coach, I am a young coach. Right now this is the right place. I have to thank the management. The club had been supportive and I feel respected by all departments.

“The fans they have shown great support and they have reasons to believe and dream we will have a great season. I have a great staff to help me work day by day, and so for sure the players.”

Xabi Alonso
Xabi Alonso won’t be joining Liverpool this summer 
Image:
Lars Baron/UEFA via Getty Images)
Leverkusen CEO Fernando Carro revealed earlier in the season that there was no release clause in place for Alonso. Carro admitted the club would not stand in the 42-year-old’s way should he receive a more appealing offer after signing a contract until 2026.

“A release clause for Alonso? No, you don’t need one,” he said. “We have a very good relationship with him and he knows we are a club who takes matters very seriously. We won’t force anyone to stay here if they don’t want to. We want him to feel happy with us so that his only wish is to stay.”

Sporting’s Ruben Amorim and Brighton’s Roberto De Zerbi are said to be among the candidates considered to take over the Anfield hotseat this summer. The Reds are said to have been unsurprised by Alonso’s decision.

 

Related Posts

Our Privacy policy

https://bantinngaymoi24.com - © 2024 News